Friday, January 30, 2009

Revolutionary Road

I finally got a chance to go see this movie. I read the book just before Thanksgiving and have been eagerly waiting to see it. Which is strange as I know how bleak it is. I just think it's such an honest, heart-breaking film. And if there was an award for best trailer ever it would win. "Wild is the Wind" is such an amazing Nina Simone song that it can bring tears to my eyes just listening to it. Anyhow I'm looking forward to talking about this movie with friends. There were moments that were hard because I remember having bad fights with David when we just couldn't get onto the same page about life and just learning to adapt to each other. And the struggles with figuring out who you are and what you need to survive really spoke to me. And I'll just say it even though it is so personal...figuring out what to do with an unplanned/unwanted pregnancy. I could see myself in her shoes if I hadn't had the benefit of living in a more modern world. I thought Kate Winslet was magnificent, but Leonardo DiCaprio broke my heart. I never really thought much about him until now. Go see it. It will leave you deeply unsettled and shaken, but it's a masterpiece.

On a side note...There was some old guy checking his voicemail messages during a pretty intense moment. I said to him, "Really? With the cell phone?" He told me to shut up and walked out. I didn't really care because he walked out. But when he was walking back in he banged into my seat so hard. What a loser. I realize this was just a movie and maybe he was dealing with something real. I don't know. Maybe not. But still.....Please, mind your manners! They tell you 3 times before the movie starts to turn off all cell phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment